Thursday, May 2, 2013

Outsider Music



Perhaps you’ve heard the term Outsider Music. For those not in the know here is the deal, the term refers to people who operate outside the standards of music writing and don’t conform to normal song structure either because they consciously reject it or don’t understand the supposed norms of song construction (verse, chorus, etc.). It’s music by people outside the commercial industry of music.

The New Hampshire 60’s band, The Shaggs are a good example of this style of music. Other folks in this genre include Tiny Tim, Jandek, and Syd Barrett. Check them out and see what you think. Not sure if Syd really falls into this category to my way of thinking, but given the fact that he was once the lead singer for Pink Floyd his name is a little more recognizable so he does make a good reference point for this discussion.

So you might be wondering why am I blithering on about these types of folks.
Well a question came to me… Is Astro Al outsider music? Do I care if we are?
Well as to whether I care much or not… I guess I must since I’m writing a blog about this subject.
So are we outsider music? Let’s check…
We do produce our material outside of the recording industry.
We don’t consciously follow or break song structure. Often times we start a song with a chorus, which is against the thought process of most songs. Now in all honesty we never did it because we wanted to purposefully reject songwriting rules, we did just because we thought it sounded cool and felt it made the song better. When we work on our tunes we just do what we think makes that piece the best it can be we just let our minds go and if its verse, chorus, fine, if not that’s fine too.
So are we outsider music?

Call us outsider music if you want. That choice is up to you.
I will always think of Astro Al as psychedelic B horror/sci-fi music and that label is good enough for me.


From the outside realms,
Count Robot

No comments:

Post a Comment