You can watch Speak here.
Speak is a new movie by first time director Raffi Batalian. Raffi also is the male lead.Full disclosure, DNA Girl is the co-star, and she and I are on the soundtrack a bit.
Here is an interview that I conducted with Raffi via email.
1. What were the major challenges in realizing the movie?
The whole process was a challenge because I’ve never made a film before. Now that I look back, I did it one step at a time, and there was no deadline pressure. The first hurdle was the hardest and that was the script. Matt Konicki agreeing to help me with it was wonderful because he helped me to shape it which had perplexed me. I had little clumps of script jotted down but hadn’t put any form to it.
2. How did you overcome these challenges?
We took some time and rehearsed everything because it was all new to us. You can be the biggest movie fan in the world, knowing how to go about it doing it was a different matter. I had to learn to direct. Then, I had to learn to ACT. That was challenging. Finally, I had to learn a huge bunch of lines. That was REALLY challenging. I haven’t even mentioned the technical challenges.
3. How did you approach directing this movie?
We did everything by trial and error. I knew what I wanted. We just needed to figure out how to get there. The people that helped realized that I have it worked out and just trusted me to get it done.
4. How much did the movie change during the editing process?
We took enough footage that I was able to find what I needed in there. One of my problems is that I’m not the cleanest most fluent speaker and there is a TON to say. Watching the movie, you’d think I talk effortlessly, and I can assure you, I don’t. I had to find the clearest versions of each line. Believe it or not though, the script is intact. That happened also, I learned to edit a movie.
5. Did you consciously try to channel any directors style? If so, which director(s)?
No, not channel. But there are a few that I’ve had in mind. I didn’t want it to be like other movies. I love Brandon Cronenberg, and Osgood Perkins. I feel like they have a new approach that appeals to me.
6. How would you describe your movie?
I see it as a spiral descent into a fever-dream.
7. What challenges were there in directing yourself?
I hated it. I would’ve preferred just directing, but I couldn’t see anyone else saying those words.
8. How much of your life's philosophy is in your script?
It’s sort of a culmination of my life packaged into 24 minutes. Everything means something or refers to something, which isn’t as obvious on the first viewing.
9. How does it feel to have finished the film?
It’s a relief to get it out. I’m just glad I didn’t die before I finished it.
10. You’ve mentioned the possibility of sequels. Could you talk more about them?
Now that it’s done, I can start concentrating on Act 2 which will be called ‘Hear’. The scope is bigger and picks up her story a couple of years later.
Great! Interview! A true accomplishment! Raffi, I think you are a great director, editor, and actor. You did it all!!!! Congratulations! So happy to be a part of it. Looking forward to the next act.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Delete